Wednesday, October 30, 2013

War Wounds: Liam's First Stitches

We spent a little time at Urgent Care on the evening of October 4, 2013. Liam had not been at his highly anticipated weekly "Let's Play Music" class with beloved teacher, Chrissy Coonradt, when he one-leg hopped his face right into the corner of a piano bench. Luckily, there was a doctor on the scene who triaged and quickly assessed the situation.  He told me Liam would need a couple of stitches and that he would probably have a black eye for 6-8 weeks (it only lasted about a week). So, after a Popsicle break, I rushed him to Urgent Care where I had to hold my straight-jacketed baby down while he got numbed and stitched back together. Amidst goose-egg tears, he kept repeating, "I'm so disappointed!"  I was just as traumatized as he was, but kept pretty focused under the pressure. I NEVER want to experience that again, but I have a feeling that with two boys, I probably will.  I keep replaying the scene in my head; it is literally a miracle that he still has both eyes. Liam is my brave little trooper, and he's 100% back to singing every song from Broadway's Tarzan at the top of his lungs. We feel blessed and thankful.  








Worst part.  This is a picture that will go down in the history of Liam.





Liam was so happy to return home that night and get a good sleep.  


Frankencheek.



Five days after The Incident, Liam returned to Urgent Care to have his two stitches removed.  He was very brave, even when the doc had to dig around in his cheek to find a lost stitch fiber!  





NO MORE faces meeting pianos!  Got it?  

1 comment:

Papa John said...

Swwwwwweeeeet Liam all patched up and rarin to go...like Mommy says, but, not into any more piano benches any more...