Monday, June 2, 2014

San Diego Getaway II

The next stop on our boat tour was the USS Midway, which my Dad once landed on in the middle of the ocean to give a lecture.  These pictures do not really convey the enormity of this carrier.  It is massive.  






Dad used to fly the F-18 on the right (not that one specifically) and I think the other as well.  I love hearing his Marine Corps stories, especially the one about how when Tom Cruise was dropped in the ocean during the filming of the "Goose dies" scene in Top Gun, he cried like a baby because he was scared.  My dad has a similar story of being dropped in the ocean.  He took a nap (because what else are you going to do?)



This may be my favorite sculpture ever.  I had this print hanging in my dorm room at Princeton for four years.  I had no idea there was a life-size version!


Upon our return from our self-guided boat tour, we came upon a Navy Seal team departing Coronado on a speedboat.  Had one of us not slowed down, we would've been T-boned but of course the Seals weren't about to slow for us civilians...The guys were so friendly, waving as they zoomed past.  Mom and I giddily waved back as Dad sat in the back with a sinister smile.  He knew that the speed of their boat would create such a huge wake that our little whaler would be flooded momentarily.  Ugh!  I could feel their laughter from a mile away as I frantically held my soaked camera bag in the breeze.  Hilarious.  





Look, Aiden and Liam, a pirate ship!  


Don't let the sunshine fool you.  I was freezing most of the trip.  Ocean breezes can be deceiving.  








I have SO many childhood memories of Seaport Village; trying on hats in the Village Hat Shop, riding the carousel, getting ice cream at Ben & Jerry's, perusing the art galleries.  Good times.   







This one is for my boys.  They got to meet this pirate via FaceTime.  


I took a break from paleo on this trip (like I'm going to pass up fried fish tacos and sourdough?!), so this is me protesting the scale.  




Extraordinary Desserts.  Let's be honest, this is why we came to San Diego in the first place.  It is an experience.  I salivate at the thought of it, and not just for the desserts; My panini was to die for.  





Works of art.  






Happy Anniversary!  


And Happy 31st, 66th, and 67th birthdays!  (I mean, 29th, 29th and 29th...)






Death by cake.  



Great trip.  And that's a wrap.  


No comments: