Saturday, June 1, 2013

Dirty Thirty

Thirty.  3-0.  THIRTY?@#&!

I still can't even say the number without nearly having an anxiety attack.  And I'm not going to lie, I'll miss being able to say "twenty" something when asked my age compared to Wes's.  It made me feel a bit scandalous and more importantly, young.  To make myself feel better, I've committed myself to stop mentally aging.  I think I'll stick with age 25.  That was a great year.  


I'm not going to lament too much, though, because I kind of feel like I've come into myself...I'm comfortable with who I am and who I want to be.  I'm secure, strong, confident and happy.  I am fully aware that I am living the best years of my life right now and I intend to recognize that fact every living minute.  I'm not going to go so far to say the "adult" word, but you know what I mean.  And I'm posting this picture to remind myself that at age 30, I still didn't have any wrinkles or gray hairs.  (Okay, okay, I DID find a couple of strays this week.  Oy vey.)


It seems every decade, one is obliged to complete sort of a life review, to gauge how much work one has to do to complete the so-called Bucket List.  So let's do this.  I...
  • Found Mr. Right (Mr. Young and the Restless) and best friend, got married for eternity in the temple, and we are loving life together.  
  • Fully immersed in my biggest dream and highest calling, being a mother.  Family is nowhere near complete so I have much more work to do and much more joy to look forward to.
  • Lived in Europe and have traveled throughout Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Holland, Austria, Belgium, as well as the Dominican Republic, The Bahamas, and Costa Rica.  Would love to visit Asia, Hawaii, Scotland/Ireland and Norway/Sweden one day.  
  • Despite personal doubts, graduated from my first choice university where I was challenged intellectually beyond what I thought I was capable.  Slaved over a 70-page thesis.  
  • Have sung in front of thousands of people.
  • Have put piano to good use in church callings.
  • Am pursuing interests in photography, guitar, a'cappella arranging and cooking.
  • Am continuing with my goal to read as many of the great books and literature as possible.
  • Am trying desperately to keep up as family historian to preserve these wonderful years!
  • Have dreams of starting my own company, working on a major political campaign, going to grad school, running for state office?, and writing a book.



I had a delightfully low-key birthday-day mostly spent doing what I do best: mothering.  Firstly, my boys were ridiculously cute.  Pardon the partial nudity.  One of Liam's favorite pastimes is blowing bubbles and one of Aiden's is catching them.  It works out well for everyone.



Wes got me a "Chocolate Lovers" cake from Costco.  The man knows me well. 



"Where's my cake?"


Lydia joined via iPhone for the birthday song and blowing-out-of-candles.  It's like she was there.  


My parents came over to celebrate for a bit and then took me to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, The Dodo in Sugarhouse.  


Weston got me this beautiful bracelet (he knows the way to a girl's heart) as well as a heavenly 70-minute massage with reflexology and aromatherapy.  Most relaxed I've ever been.  


We capped off the celebrations with the traditional bowling with friends.   Once again, I beat Weston handily and he has now officially given up on bowling as one of his special gifts.  Of course, David Blake beat us all and the Jacksons missed the bowling part but showed up just in time for cake.  Typical!  J/K Love you guys!  Thanks for making my transition into real adulthood extra special.  


So, no party bus with stripper pole this year, but all of this was SO MUCH BETTER than that!  I am officially embracing Dirty Thirty.  This is going to be the best decade YET.

No comments: