Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bahamian Adventure (with Kids!) Day 8

On the eighth day of our Christmas Bahamian vacation (with kids!), we got to hug a dolphin.  Definitely not something you do everyday.  We boarded the ferry overlooking the cruise ship harbor and headed to our private island!  As I passed by these floating hotels I though, "Man, I'm glad I'm not on one of those!"



Great view of Atlantis on the way...




The ferry was a highlight of Liam's vacation.  He is quick to point out that the ferry and the airplane were his favorite parts;  not hugging dolphins, the beach, paradise, etc. 







Aiden enjoyed the Bahamian beats coming through the ferry's speaker system.  He rocked out!  






We payed far too much money for the following three pictures, so please enjoy them as much as possible.  We have video footage as well.  Don't ask the price.




And I took upon myself the risk of dropping my little Cannon in the pool and took the rest!  Glad I did!  



Did you know that all of the noise a dolphin makes comes through its blowhole?  



Did you know dolphins can jump twenty-five feet in the air?




And all of the dolphin's interactions are voluntary.  Right.  Who wouldn't want to hug and kiss thousands of total strangers daily?  I do think Clifton had a special moment with Wes, though.



Aiden was a BIT unsettled by the whole dolphin encounter.  He was like, "this is DEFINITELY not normal." 


Allegedly, one of these guys is the original Flipper (dolphins can live to be 50 years old!).  It's not like we would be able to tell the difference, but I like to believe I met him.









Aside from Liam almost falling off of the pier, it was a magnificent adventure, one sure to be remembered.  (And if we don't, at least we'll have dozens of pictures!)









Supposedly, this is one of Oprah's mansions.  Like I said, they're good tourist selling points.  


Shameka rescued me later that night and took me to a wonderful sushi place where we ate until we were sick.  She grew up on the island of Eleuthera and remembers running around barefoot cooking her own meals as a toddler.  Very different backgrounds and I totally love her.  Thanks for the good time, Shameka!



1 comment:

Papa John said...

What a nice dolphin encounter.
I gotta say though, cruising is the only way to go...