Monday, March 21, 2011

Days of Plenty

I'm so proud of Molly.  The Benefit Concert was more than successful; it was, in every way, perfect.  I kept telling her afterwards, "You did this.  You."  And it literally was a one-woman production.  I mean sure, she had help with the details, but so much of her heart, sweat and tears went into this from the day it was conceived.  She was able to raise over six thousand dollars to go towards children's headstones.
  

I wasn't really sure what the feeling of the show was going to be...I knew there would be a long list of amazingly talented vocalists singing a couple of songs each, but I didn't know that it would be a veritable emotional rollercoaster of goodness (and plenty).  

The VOICES, people!  The whole thing started out with Lea Cabrera.  Alone.  With a mic.  ROCKING us to our core singing "Oh Darling" by The Beatles.  You may have seen her on American Idol (she was a Hollywood week finalist), but I can't imagine that whoever won that year was better than she was.  No way.  And picture Brian Clark, who actually played Javert in Les Mis on Broadway, singing "Stars." Unbelievable.  Cherie Call's folksy storytelling was delicious, and so were the other soloists.  Some of the more mature women in the audience (who will remain nameless) even got a little flushed when a Michael Buble cover artist shimmied his tushie to "Save the Last Dance for Me"...

I paid $10 for an entire seat, but I only needed the edge



And then there was Molly, who sang "Days of Plenty" while my slideshow played in the background.  It was beautiful.  She was beautiful.  I don't know how a grieving mother could pull that off, but she did.  I just loved the beautiful simplicity of the night.  Great talent.  Simple stage.  Good people.  Done and done.


I think the "Angel Families" felt proud that their little ones were remembered.  I will remember them.  The night was for them.  And there will be many more like it in coming years, as Days of Plenty will be an annual event.  So, see you next year!  And as I've said a thousand times, I just love those Jacksons.

1 comment:

Tracie said...

I heard awesome things about the benefit....

Really, is there any better cause?

Wish I could have made it!