Friday, November 11, 2011

To Those Who Serve and Have Served

Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day...they all hold a special place in my heart.  I grew up in a military family and learned at an early age the price of freedom.  I knew that my dad's job as a Marine Corps fighter pilot was different from other dad's jobs, and that it was dangerous.  Moving every two years was hard.  I watched my mother make every shoebox barracks a warm home and knew that though she put on the happy face, it was never easy.  I knew all of the options both of my brothers were giving up as they went through OCS at Quantico.  Why did they do it?  


When I was in 8th grade in Columbus, Ohio, I won an essay contest and was selected as one of four students to lay the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery.  (My essay was entitled, "I Know the Unknown Soldier.")  I'll never forget the reverent feeling I had as we honored those whose sacrifices will never be forgotten, though their names may be lost.  I am grateful that I learned what patriotism really means and to respect what we have been given.  I am thankful that I live in a country where I can promote my views and engage in the democratic process.  And I'm grateful to the men, women and families who sacrifice more than most of us can imagine for these opportunities. 



Though Wes and I are not active duty, we both grew up in the military.  We hope to instill a great sense of love of country in our children.  I think Liam is on the right track...he loves to sing the National Anthem!


Thank you Grandpa, Papa, Dad, Bret, Daniel, Papa John and everyone who has supported them in their service!  Happy Veteran's Day.  Now please respect the privileges you have as Americans, do the research, and VOTE (preferably for someone who is also proud of this country).

2 comments:

Tracie said...

Um, I am looking for the "Like" button for this post....love love love.

Papa John said...

Very nicely done Rachael...