Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Three Years

Three years ago today, Wes asked me to marry him (well, technically, "merry" him.)  For those who've never heard our story and for those longing to relive it, here it is. 


Wes wanted to ask my father for his blessing, so he sought to track him down while I was sleeping on the morning of February 16, 2008. He found the Colonel rappelling from the roof chipping off giant sheets of ice, so Wes climbed up a precarious ladder and yelled out for him. He risked death scaling the icy roof to find my dad so that they could have their man-to-man talk. After nearly causing a heart-attack, Wes told my dad, "I wanted to talk to you up here so that you wouldn't have access to your shot-guns..." Steve replied "Well, I have a couple of shovels, but I don't need them." I was thrilled that my father didn't threaten Wes into submission. 



That afternoon, Wes took me snowshoeing in the Glenwild Preserve with his sister, Tracie. (I thought it was odd that she came without her husband.) We didn't trek very far when we came upon a magnificent outlook of Park City. Naturally, we had to stop and take advantage of the perfect photo-op. I grew nervous as I noticed Wes starting to act a little strange. After we took a few pictures, Wes told me to make sure the pictures came out. He followed me over to Tracie, and as I was skimming through the pictures, I came across one where he was holding a sign that said "Merry me?!?" 





I didn't notice until I was looking at the pictures we had taken that he had been holding a sign and even then failed to connect the events. It took me an awkward moment to realize that he was proposing and when I finally looked at him, he was already on his knee holding the ring. I reacted with some combination of shaking/crying/laughing as he said the following, "Rachael Rawson, I love you- I always have. Will you marry me?" (all in a Scottish accent...Braveheart style.)  I was overcome for a moment and then nodded, hugged him and said "If you'll marry me back." 

We tripped over each other’s snow shoes and fell to the ground laughing, enjoying one of the happiest moments of both of their lives.



That evening, we celebrated our new engagement at Wes's little nephew, Jesse's birthday party.  The vibe I picked up at the party was "FINALLY!"  Next, we headed over to my parent's house to spread the news and get ready for the "Bishop's Ball."  Neither of us stopped smiling for several days (until the wedding planning started...)







It was a glorious day.  Thanks for asking, Weston!  

4 comments:

Tracie said...

SUCH a sweet a memorable proposal. He was SO nervous! And the way he spelled "Merry" made it that much more special:)

Papa John said...

Congratulations on your very own 3rd Anniversary of Wes "Merry Me" proposal!

Megan said...

Such a cute story! Happy three years!!

Unknown said...

That chick is hot. I'm glad I merried her. OK - I KNOW HOW TO SPELL "MARRY", PEOPLE!. I was in a hurry, ok?!