Friday, July 16, 2010

"My Daddy Helped Born Me"


This is the Father's Day post that never happened.  Never in the history of the world was there a father who loved a son more than Wes loves Liam, and vice versa.  You can see it in the way Liam lights up and starts flapping his chubby arms up and down when his daddy enters the room.  You can see it in the way Wes melts as he rocks Liam to sleep and Liam lets out a sleepy sigh as he drifts peacefully into dreamland..."Daaaddaa." 





It started before Liam was born.  Wes took an active role in making sure Liam arrived safely and happily into this world.  Liam felt loved in the womb as Wes read him stories, sang to him and told him he loved him any chance he could.  Wes attended every single Bradley class with me, and learned the intricate and gory details of childbirth.  He practiced relaxation exercises with me.  He did the research.  His role in helping Liam arrive was irreplaceable.  I am so grateful to Dr. Robert Bradley who paved the way for today's fathers to be able to participate actively in the birth experience.  I believe that it has allowed fathers to develop a deeper bond with their children faster than the generations of fathers expelled to dreary waiting rooms for the duration of their wife's solitary labor.  



I believe that one of the most important elements of a healthy society is for a man to be a good father to his son(s).  I also believe that those who come up short in that responsibility will have to answer for their failure.  Wes is playful, gentle, empathetic, engaged, interested, encouraging and protective of his baby boy.  Most importantly, he is full of love.  Sure, he is forgetful and has a one-track mind, but he has already succeeded in every way that matters.  I believe he had been anxiously awaiting fatherhood for many years.  




Weston, thank you for being the Dadda I always envisioned you would be.  As Liam gets older, I will remind our boy that your love for him was born long before he was.  And he will know that his daddy helped born him.

Happy (late) Father's Day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sniff, sniff - that was so kind, Rachael. If I knew all those years how much I'd love this little guy, it would have been SOO much harder to be patient. He is the easiest baby to love in the world. From his chubby cheeks to the way he flays about when he's really excited, I don't think there never was a cuter child born to man.

Since I didn't do any sort of Mother's Day blog - lemme just add that Rachael - you are the wonderful mother that I suspected you would be when we were dating. You have incredible love for children, an empathy for our little one, and a wonderful desire to do things the right way for this first one. You're an example to me in so many ways, and I love you for it.

Papa John said...

What sweet tributes to each other.
May you both always continue the strength of investment each of you now have in each other and your family.

Tamsyn said...

Oh Racheal, I love this post! It is so sweet and the pictures are beautiful!