Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bahamian Adventure (with Kids!) Day 4

We started out slowly our first full vacation (with kids) day in Nassau to acclimate everyone to the heat and our surroundings.  There is a brand new park within steps of the condo that became our best friend when Dadda was away at work. 










Liam found a couple of friends his age at the park and next thing I knew, I looked over and he was seven feet in the air on some playground equipment!  P.S. Would that structure pass playground safety regulations in the U.S.?  My usually cautious and physically timid boy suddenly had a moment of bravery and climbed all the way up by himself.  My heart jumped into my throat, I snapped a couple of pictures (bad Mamma) and sped-walked over trying to avoid startling him and spotted him the rest of the way.  Yikes!



These brothers got a lot of bonding in over our two weeks.  I think they kind of like each other.  










Living in Park City year round, sometimes I miss the bright, tropical flora of warmer climates.  






The shopping is not great in Nassau, and by that I mean they do not have a T.J. Maxx.  There is the occasional Gucci, Prada or Fendi for window shopping, though.  It's mostly fun for shock-value purposes: "Who would pay $1500 for a purse?"  


Later that night, we made our way to Atlantis (the huge, reddish castle-like hotel you see on commercials following shows like Sesame Street.)  I was afraid we would never get a family picture during our vacation (with kids), so I took this one in the elevator.  I couldn't fit Aiden in.  Wes and I match. 


If you are a teenager, Atlantis is a dreamland.  They had an entire room dedicated to remote control car racing and a teen-only nightclub.  (One of the rules on the board outside noted that public displays of affection and obscene dancing were prohibited.  I guess Wes and I can't go.)  The Obama daughters were there the week prior to our trip (with kids).  Do you even understand how happy I was that they (and their secret service entourage) left before we got there?  We wouldn't have been able to go anywhere!




It's fancy.



One cannot go to Atlantis without taking the obligatory giant chair picture.  



Our lives are measured by these chair pictures.  Compare the following:

2006

2009
 

2013
  

The real reason for our Atlantis stop was the aquarium which happens to be the largest in the universe.  Tickets are like $100/person, but Shameka informed us that if you go past 7pm, they stop checking wristbands.  Score!  The only downside to that is that you don't get to see the shark exhibits because they shut those down at sundown.  We didn't tell Liam about the sharks.                                                                                 





The BOB had a flat tire (with holes) the ENTIRE trip.  This slows things down a bit and got really old after awhile.  Poor Aiden is still probably lopsided from it. 


Mana Ray... this this is an alien.  Or a dinosaur.  Definitely one of the two.


We found Nemo.


Portuguese Man of War; my favorite.  



Liam made friends with a grouper.  



Here are some rich people's yachts.  I always feel like I'm on a James Bond set when I'm in Nassau and I LOVE it.  


No comments: