Friday, December 23, 2011

The Good Fight


I can't hold back any longer.  There is a soap box waiting, and I'm about to get on it.

Do you understand how anxious I am for the 2012 Election?  I feel like the campaigns have been going on for years already, and it is insane to me that we're only going to be voting in the primaries in the coming months.  This will have been the longest road back from lunacy that I have ever witnessed in this country.

A few thoughts (in no particular order) on last week's final debate before the Iowa caucus...(p.s. why does everyone put so much weight on what Iowa thinks anyway?)

Why did we have seven panelists this debate when this is really a two, maybe three man race?  I like Santorum and all, but can he, Huntsman, Perry and Bachmann please acknowledge when to back down and let the guys who actually have a chance duke it out so I can have clarity?

On the other hand, it's fun when an outlier brings up something that we may never have known about, such as Michelle Bachmann drilling Newt Gingrich on his position on partial-birth abortion.  While the truth may not have surfaced in three minutes, at least I am aware of the question.

I am totally on board with so much of what Ron Paul says, but he loses literally all credibility with me when he starts opining on foreign policy.  Sit down and have a nice little conversation with Ahmadinejad?  Please.  The man is in crazy town.  Stick with the federal reserve stuff.

I can't help but laugh out loud every time Perry speaks.  I turn to Wes and go, "I mean, seriously??"  Is it just me, or is he like a Saturday Night Live parody of himself?  I don't know how any voter can take this guy seriously.  It's not just bad debate skills; this goes much deeper.  Sorry, Perry, but I don't think you're going to be the Tim Tebow of this election...the Lord is clearly on the side of the Mormons, don't you know that? ;-)

Speaking of Mormons, I think Huntsman is a robot.  His single-lifted eyebrow is permanently stuck in an "I have indigestion" expression.  The only things he has going for him is that Utah is one of the best places to start a business or get a job, buy health insurance and he speaks Mandarin.  He just doesn't come across as a real person.  Too bad.

I love Santorum's emphasis on the family and marriage as the fundamental units of a free society.  He is constantly trying to elbow his way into the debate discussions, but when he does, I like what he has to say.  He'd be a great president in 2040.

Michelle Bachmann probably is more adept at foreign policy than anyone else on the stage and she also has a great handle on taxation.  My favorite Michelle Bachmann moment was a few debates ago when she opined that everyone living in this country and benefiting from its resources and services should have to pay something, even if just $1.  So true.  When did we become an entitlement society where those benefiting from handouts make up nearly half of the voting population?  Is something wrong here?  And I know this sounds trite, but I would probably respect her more if she didn't sound like the mom from Bobby's World, don'tcha know?  That probably should not be a factor in determining her credibility as POTUS...or should it?  Do Putin and Chavez know Bobby's World?

I love Newt's intelligence and respect for this country's history.  I love that when he responds to a question, you are getting "the truth as Newt sees it at this given moment," as zany as it may seem.  One of the criticisms of Mr. Speaker is his unpredictability, but I would suggest that it is more of an unrehearsed honesty which is, to me, quite refreshing in a world of politicians constantly weighing what groups A, B and C will think if I say this...(better stick with the canned American exceptionalism answer!)  I never really worry that his unpredictability is going to result in some wacky out-of-left-field opinion (but perhaps a colorful soundbite).  He has a set of principles and values and from them, he draws well-formed, logical conclusions.  I can get on board with that.  But I see some issues about to surface...

Newt's sudden rise in the polls has often been described as voters seeking an alternative to Mitt Romney.    (A Real Clear Politics average poll has Gingrich leading by 3 points.)  Here is my prediction.  Now that Newt is the big shot on the block, I think American voters'  recent enthusiasm will slowly dim and there will be a mass return to the Romney camp as an alternative to Newt Gingrich.  Because, you see, in the end, character does matter (even in a crisis.)  You just can't cheat on your wife without consequences.

Romney has been bombarded with questions regarding social policy and I believe he's handled them quite well.  The dinosaur media has portrayed him as the guy who'll say anything to win a race.  But let's take his stance on abortion.  Massachusetts has a consistent, pro-choice history since Roe v. Wade in 1973.  Romney ran for the office of governor and consistently has defended his decision to "keep the laws as they were on the books."  But, when a piece of legislation passed his desk that would involve experimentation on live embryos, he was faced with a real choice that he simply could not get behind.  I believe him, and so should you.  What did you want the guy to do?  "Hey voters, when I get into office, I'm really gonna shake things up and outlaw abortions, gay marriage, you name it!"  He respects the voice of the people, but is guided by principles at the same time.  The next doofus in office may fool around with the sanctity of human life, but not this guy.

I believe him when he says that one of his first orders of business will be to repeal Obamacare.  I just wish someone would ask him what he intends to replace it with...He's a big states-rights guy, so it's not going to be anything mirroring Romneycare.  But could he at least hint at tort reform, emphasizing preventative care, making HSAs/HRAs more advantageous, insurance sales across state lines, and regulation?   The lack of clarity here makes me want to scratch my eyeballs out.

I wish Romney's response to his off-the-cuff $10,000 bet faux pas had been a part of the actual debate.  Sean Hannity asked him about it later and he had a great response.  He said, "After that debate, my wife Anne told me that she loved me and I did a great job.  Then she said, 'There are a many things you are good at, but betting isn't one of them.'"  Great response.  Too bad no one heard it,  He's good at brushing off things that rabid, salivating leftists might try to capitalize on...

And the scariest shock of all is that each one of these clowns is still behind Obama in the polls, even with Obama's 51% disapproval rating!  How is that even possible?  I'm trying to have faith in American voters, but with stats like that it's hard to stay strong.  Do we really need to drift into another recession, go bankrupt, be downgraded again, lose the support of our allies, turn into Greece and face extinction before people get the point that whatever he is doing is NOT WORKING?  Come on, people.  This is just lunacy.

And thus concludes my rant.

1 comment:

Papa John said...

We share the same enthusiasm about Rick Santorum, especially for me on Defense.
The polar opposite of Ron Paul, who has his head deeply buried in the sand.
But I think Santorum is too real for the most conservative liberals, and even independents? Idealogically, he would make a great VP, but then what voting blocks would he bring to the table? Gotta get in before ya can stay in?
Go Grand ole party! Don't forget Paul Ryan in future years???