Tuesday, July 5, 2011

America! America!

I love Independence Day.  These days, it's the one day a year where sporting red, white and blue, "Proud to be an American" bumper stickers and the American flag in excess is not seen as out of fashion.  Why is that?  What has happened to this country in the last decade that has made it "uncool" to openly express love of country?  Is it because we're afraid we'll offend someone who is not from here?  Or is it because we're actually not really that proud of what America stands for?  

 


I, frankly, am exhausted with hearing how many mistakes America has made, how we would be better off if we were more like Europe, and how President Bush was more of a terrorist than Osama Bin Laden.  Yes, America has made mistakes, as has every other country on earth.  But at least in America, you don't get stoned to death as a rule of law for making them.  At least in America, your vote actually counts unlike across the pond, where vote-ourselves-in-power Eurocrats think they know better than the hardworking common folk.  At least in America, we have an inspired system of checks and balances so that one lunatic cannot hold his country hostage under the guise of social "justice." At least in America, we can choose to burn flags in protest, or raise them high in a show of unity and patriotism.  



At least in America, we welcome all cultures, religions and creeds with open arms without threat of genocide.  Hey, we'll even take you in illegally if you're willing to do our work for less (at least, that is what has transpired in the past.)  At least in America, our freedom was not imposed on us by others.  It was earned through the blood and tears of our forefathers and mothers who sacrificed more than we can possibly imagine for the right to be fairly represented and for all of the rights guaranteed to them by God, not by a power-hungry King thousands of miles away. 

I am reminded of this every time someone tells me they didn't vote because it wouldn't make a difference.  Tell that to Florida voters.  Tell that to our first black president.  Tell that to all of the immigrants who were never given the opportunity to choose their own leaders before arriving at Ellis Island.  Tell that to the Tea Party movement.


To all those who seek to pigeon-hole me as a white-bread, red-neck, right-wing, nut-job Neanderthal...I graduated from Princeton with a degree in Politics.  The title of my thesis was "Separation of Zion and State: The Effects of the 19th Century Mormon Polygamy Controversy on American Constitutional Jurisprudence."  I have gay friends.  My grandmother had four husbands, and married two of them twice (not all at the same time, mind you.)  I'm a quarter Puerto-Rican, but hope I didn't get into Princeton because of it.  I don't hate President Obama, but I want him out of office as soon as possible because I believe he is doing serious damage to our economy and foreign relations.  I try to recycle as much as possible and believe in keeping my carbon footprint to a minimum, but I don't believe humans are the cause of global warming.  I believe war should be a last result, but I also believe in a strong national defense.  I am a supporter of the organic food movement and think the school lunch programs suck.  Some of my best friends are liberal, which I believe is one thing that makes America beautiful.  

So to all you America-haters, Uncle Sam wants YOU...to shut up.  At least for one day.  (Or leave.  I hear Africa is looking for sex slaves and those willing to work for nothing.  That could be fun!)   

By the way, did you know that on average, liberals earn more but give less to charity than conservatives?    So much for the "bleeding heart liberal" stereotype.  Step it up, people!  If you're going to whine that all of the rich people are evil, money-hungry Republicans, then the least you could do is not be giant hypocrites.   

Wes, Liam and I were privileged to attend our nephew Dominic Kawika Wilton's baby blessing this past Sunday.  The blessing was beautiful and perfect.  Dominic did not make a sound.  I think he was listening to his daddy's every word.  It was a peaceful way to start off two days worth of extreme America-loving.  

What struck me, though, was the near absence of spoken patriotism by the members during testimony meeting.  As a Marine Corps brat, I grew up in military wards, where red-white-and-blue oozed out of every pore following each July 4th Sunday meeting.  It meant something to hear someone say "I'm proud to be an American" and know that he is actually willing to die for it.  My dad was one of them.  God and Country is everything to military families, and they're not afraid to talk about it.  

There was plenty of God, but where was Country July 3rd at the Silver Creek Ward?  I hope it was in everyone's hearts and minds, as it was in mine that day.  Thinking back, I should've gotten up to speak and disregarded my fear that I would be taking time from those in their home ward. 

We sang America the Beautiful as the closing hymn, and I can never sing that song without choking up on the fourth verse: 

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine! 

Happy 4th, everyone.  Be proud to be an American, and not afraid to say it.  It will never be out of fashion to me.  And whether you recognize it or not, we are all blessed to be citizens of this great country.  

Now enjoy some good, American cuteness...




3 comments:

Randi said...

my favorite post. ever.

Papa John said...

Lest I be judged wrongfully, I do consider myself patriotic. And I do love my ward, the Silver Creek Ward of the Park City Stake.

Dad, Colonel USMC, Ret. said...

I could not agree more with this post! I could not be more proud of it's author, my daughter. My response in a word; Oooorah! (A Marine word of course)