Thursday, November 19, 2009

They're Here



I saw one of the most incredible things of my entire life night before last.  The view from our master bedroom faces west, and I happened to be looking out over the mountains at about 12:30am (trying to fall asleep) when, all of a sudden, the sky turned green and gradually got brighter and brighter until it seemed like daylight.  I woke Wes up as I started to panic that the end of the world was here.  


Then, a streaking flash of orange fell across the Utah sky which then turned into red, then bright white.  It looked like a comet, but WAY too close to be that...It seemed so huge and near, like it was crashing into Little Cottonwood Canyon.  Wes reminded me that a huge meteor killed off the dinosaurs, and things like this can be quite dangerous.  Awesome.


I was pretty sure that aliens had landed and had a hard time getting back to sleep (ironic, since it was the first time in many nights my sweet newborn baby slept 4 hours in a row.) Witnessing a once-in-a-lifetime spectacle made my lack of sleep a little less excruciating.


I told my family about what I had seen, and my brother replied, "No more weed before bedtime."  Seriously.  I swear I wasn't the only one who saw it!  Someone down in southern Utah even caught it on his security camera... They claim it was a type of meteor known as a bolide, but I still think it may be time for me to make myself one of these:





1 comment:

Papa John said...

It looks like what happened to Baghdad at night with all the bombing...but far less lethal. I guess too, those were some of the aliens that landed...the one on the left seems to be somewhat of a disinterested case???